Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wadsworth vs. Wordsworth


For the longest time in grade school, I confused William Wordsworth with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I could never remember which one was the Gitche Gumee guy who envisioned shining Big-Sea-Water and which one wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high o'er vales and hills. No amount of stern coaxing from my fourth-grade teacher, "Miss Glenn," would do the trick.

Then one day it hit me: one of these guys was British and loved flowers, the other was American and loved Indians. Why that helped, I'll never know. But it did. I have kept them separate and fairly in their own quarters ever since.

Thus, when Garrison Keillor told us yesterday in his Writer's Almanac that it was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's birthday, I instantly knew he was not British. I did not know which birthday it was for Henry until I looked it up (how quaint is this?)in my printed-paper, hardbound encyclopedia.

So Happy 201st, dear Henry. In my giddy celebration, I also looked up the birthdate and age of your pal Mr. Wordsworth. He will be 237 in April. I trust you both are enjoying the long rest, the peace and quiet of Poet's Corner at Westminster Abbey.

But now I have a new problem: which of you is which, now that I see from your pictures that you both were bald with white-tufted ears, had long skinny noses and wore bushy white beards??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many 4th grade classes these days study the Worth-y poets---precious few, I bet. Somehow I think of HWL with bushy white beard, but WW not so much. Check out Google Images for him. He's generally pretty clean shaven, other than long sideburns...
Your blog is addictive. The (rare) days I check in here and don't find a new post, I'm disappointed, but then I remind myself that you're out there living life, not chained to your 'puter 24/7.
Assume you're in Maryland this week, and posting from afar?
---annie fannie

Anonymous said...

Nancy...what a great blog site. I'm still exploring it, but I just wanted to say hi. And it's great to see a picture of you after all these years. The sparkle in your dazzling blue eyes and your engaging smile haven't changed a bit.

One niggley point (if the student dares correct the teacher), but I think Missoula is in the Missoula Valley, not the Blackfoot Valley per se....

Yr devoted pupil,

Will
Sentinel High School Class of '73