Wednesday, February 13, 2008

That 'Wave Length' Thing


It happens to all of us: we'll encounter a word or a notion that seems new, only to find it again within a few hours, days, weeks. Or, in my case, mere minutes. Today's example still has me reeling.

To set the scene, here I was at the computer, checking out today's New York Times, which had a video showing the winner of last night's Best in Show at Westminster Kennel competition. "Uno," the adorable beagle, had made history by being the first in its breed to win the club's top distinction.

"Oooh! He's so cute!" I thought, sharply reminded that I'd vowed to get a dog once I retired, quit the city and moved to rural Mississippi. "Maybe a beagle would be the thing."

Within minutes, I was taking a call from a friend in nearby Jackson, asking if I'd like to have a beagle. "WHAT??" I said to myself, "Cosmic conspiracy!" As usual, I was stunned by the odds-off coincidence. To my friend, though, I merely said:

"Funny you should mention it...I just saw a video of 'Uno' strutting his stuff at last night's Westminster." My friend had liked Uno, too, and had sided with the judge's pick. But her reason for calling was not tied to Westminster. Rather, someone she knows has a friend who's ill and needs permanent care for his beloved beagle. Would I be interested, et cetera. "Hmm," I said. "Please find out and tell me more."

So does Beagle Coincidence = New Owner Me? We shall see. Waiting now for more about (I'm sure of it) Uno's prizewinning twin.

2 comments:

Jon said...

NR, Go for it! Some of our favorite childhood yard dog pets were beagles...they are wonderful, but being hunters, they love to wander off after rabbits, deer, etc. You would need a fenced in backyard unless you plan to keep it inside all the time. I definitely think you would be happy with a pet dog. It would give you security and companionship and joy.
Jon on 2-13-08

Anonymous said...

Go on, woman.... you KNOW you need a K9 to make your life complete! A whole new source of photos for your blog, if nothing else....
Hugs,
anniegirl
PS Mags and Sid have approved this message