Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sweet, Sweet Strawberries




Louisiana and Florida strawberries are in. As a friend says, the sweetest, plumpest little things on strawberry feet you've ever seen!

Last night my bro, pal Ethel, friend Paul and I dined at a local eatery. On the way back, we stopped for strawberries at the supermarket nearest me. Florida berries this time. Two quarts for $6. Bought and fetched home. Three of us lightly gorged ourselves on berries, angel food cake and ice cream. "M-0-R-E, Sir...please...we want M-O-R-E," cried Oliver and me, at least, if not all three.

Come mid-April, we'll drive south a couple of hours to Ponchatoula, LA, the self-proclaimed Strawberry Capital of the World. Their 37th Annual Strawberry Festival will be in full swing. Parades, fair rides, crafts, food booths, downtown shop displays, deli/bakery treats--all with strawberries at the center. Sound delicious? You betcha. Count me in, please--if, that is, I have gas money left over after April 15!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had found the same info on the internet. A trip to to the festival sounds fabulous. Hopefully one can get, at least partially, immersed in the Cajun culture. I love the culture with the zydeco music and the fantastic food, including the strawberries and much more.

Ethel