Friday, February 22, 2008

The Peace Lily Prance



Every week to ten days, I trek to the living room, pull the pulchritudinous peace lily from its pedestal, and prance with it all the way to the backyard. There my graceful partner "takes the air," as we say down South, and gets a giant drink o' water. After last night's stormy deluge, it seems absurd to speak of watering, but there you have it: my indoor partner needs a shot. So she's out there today, taking her H20 and waiting for the sunshine. We're told it arrives again this Saturday.

Meanwhile...

My love affair with peace lillies was born at the death of my father in March 1990. Two close friends--Susan and Lynne in Missoula, MT--sent me a grand specimen as an act of condolence. It meant the world to me to see my father's death measured by my friends in such a life-affirming way. I have loved the variety ever since. I haven't gone so far as to give the current plant a name, but I do pet it often and think of it as a pal.

Do you name or favor YOUR plants? I have a notion you do. If you're willing, click on "comments" and tell us about it. We promise not to laugh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I had a beloved rubber tree named Robbie for years, back in the 1970s/1980s (when houseplants and green thumbs both seemed more common than they are now). My long-suffering husband got tired of lugging the huge thing outside every year to summer on the deck, then wrestling it back into the dining room for the winter. Finally, decreeing it "ugly" as well as back-breaking and hernia-causing, he took his chain saw to poor Robbie, while I called him a murderer.
Thanks for the memories....
--AnnieFannie

Susan said...

Hi Nancy.......Susan from the Bitterroot writing. Yes, I remember well the peace lily Lynne and I sent you in 1990. I had never thought of them as "life-affirming." I like that. As a matter of fact, I think I will get one for our house. I have not named any plants, but I do have my favorites and they all revolve around a relationship or memory involving a loved one. Need I say more? I really enjoy your blog and try to keep Lynne up on it as well. Love Montana Style.....