Sunday, August 17, 2008

Homecoming

The storm-dodging, corner-hugging wren is back. He's been roosting beneath the front porch eave for several nights now. I figure the heavy rains of recent days have him seeking shelter again.

Last winter and spring, he made it a habit. His mate even built a nest in the front door wreath. No eggs or babies seen, but the mother sat and sat for weeks. Eventually the nest was empty and mother was nowhere about. Now, it appears, the male is back and comfortable in his digs. I expect his partner eventually will return as well.

Happiness is for the birds--and for those of us who enjoy watching them. Hope soon to have the complete duo back.



1 comment:

Jon said...

NR, let us hope the old saying that "house wrens bring good luck when they nest at your house" is true. I have been watching a wren build a nest in a hanging basket of spider plants on my patio. I am not superstitious but I'll take any sign or chance of luck that might come my way. However, it is simply fun just to enjoy the activities of these cute little birds, isn't it? I sure wish I had some of their energy!