Saturday, April 5, 2008

Old Friends, New Looks?


I expect to be startled today. A couple of male friends from high school are stopping by--one at his invitation, another at mine. The former lives in Concord, MA and is in town only for short while. The latter is 30 miles away and is willing to drive to see his old classmates. My pal Ethel will join us. Others whom I asked can't make it; too busy with storm repairs. A severe boomer blew through and knocked power out and trees down yesterday.

So why do I expect a shock? The Massachusetts visitor--Bob--was the class physics and chemistry major. Classic nerd with rimmed eyeglasses and pocket protector. Vanderbilt engineering, if I remember correctly. He and his wife wound up some years later developing a huge day lily operation near Concord, MA--fields and fields, from which the owners fill orders internationally. Haven't seen Bob since high school, so I'm wondering if crisp white shirts and ironed trousers have given way to t-shirts, jeans and rich-black fingernails.

The other fellow--a big insurance guy--was an annual competitor for class president. For some reason, our classmates saw to it that the two Bills (the insurance one, and the nearby town lawyer who's too busy with tree limbs) and I always traded the offices around. The insurance Bill is now hard of hearing to the point that screaming is required. I expect it will be fun AND challenging.

Bottom line: will I know which mid-60's aged fellow is which when I see him? Stand by for news--perhaps mercifully, no film--at 11!

No comments: