Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Harry Potter Case


If you're a Harry Potter fan (I've neither read the books nor seen the movies), please tell me why J.K. Rowling is suing the man who's compiled and plans to sell a "dictionary" of words, characters and meanings in the Harry Potter books.

Even after reading about Ms. Rowling's testimony in court yesterday--and catching bits of argument from defense lawyers who're representing the dictionary fellow--I admit to confusion. Check my grasp (or lack of), please:

The dictionary writer has a popular website devoted to the Harry Potter series. Ms. Rowling herself has even visited and complimented ("supported," I think she said on the stand yesterday) the site. But once she learned the host was going farther and publishing a book that would generate big sales of (essentially) his take on her plots, her characters and words she used to create them, she balked and sued him to stop the sales? or is it to stop the publication? Which?

If the latter, might this be a "prior censorship" case? Might it be that a Rowling win in court could be challenged on grounds of censorship before full-blown publication of material she's objecting to? Or is it that she's claiming her words, by virtue of having appeared in print, HAVE been published already? Is that it?

So far, the whole story seems muddled to me and amounts to wasted court time and talent--unless, as I suspect, the world-famous author has another agenda: more money from compiling and publishing her own encyclopedic dictionary.

Note to Ms. Rowling: I said "muddled"--not "muggled." Please don't haul me into court over your precious arrangements of letters in the alphabet. And those of you who're just wild about Harry, forgive me. I'm blissfully unaware of his magic.

No comments: