Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Doctor from Olympus


When I was a youngster, I loved watching American ice skater Tinley Albright compete and win gold in the 1952 and 1956 Olympics on black and white television. As a basketball player nearly 6' tall back then, I was in awe of tiny little Tinley as she leapt and spun on the ice in her glamourous, sequined outfits.

By now the brilliant young skater is 72, a career-long pediatrician and spokesperson for a national traveling exhibit celebrating the history and careers of outstanding American women physicians. I had the pleasure of meeting and briefly visiting with Dr. Albright at the Medical Mall exhibition opening in Jackson Friday night.

When we shook hands, I spoke of having enjoyed watching her on b/w TV in the 1950's.

"It's so embarrassing now to see those tapes," she said, lowering her head and covering her eyes as 9-year-old granddaughter Twyla looked on, holding Grandma's hand and smiling. "Even worse, all those awful MovieTone newsreels!" She didn't say it, but we both knew what she meant: say MovieTone, and you say ancient history.

For me, it was a history worth revisiting, even for a minute. Fact is I remain a fan of the tiny Olympian, who--guessing from appearances--still could fit into every one of those amazing little outfits. I'm even more confident that she was a dazzling physician. She comports herself as a champion to this day.

1 comment:

Mary Jo said...

Nancy - I so enjoy reading your blog! It must have been an exciting event on Friday night - you lead quite an interesting life in your small town!

I am interested to know how you see the current events of the election - are you comfortable with the way Hillary is running her campaign? As long as we win in November I'm happy...
MJ