Monday, December 15, 2008

The Days of Christmas


There's a partridge in my pear tree.

Well, not exactly. It's more like 10 mourning doves--or similar breed--who've been gathering lately to eat the scattered birdseed over by the apple tree. But wait....

I can't be sure the markings on these large, dark gray, pigeon-like creatures qualify them as mourning doves. Doves, yes. Mourning? Not sure.

My brother says there's a newer breed of dove that matches the descriptions I give. He often sees them on the golf course at Raymond. The giveaway markings are a pair of black or dark brown bars on either side near the bird's legs. I haven't noted configuration of the tails or else I'd have a better clue with which to seek the answer: DO I HAVE A PARTRIDGE IN MY PEAR TREE--or what??

To all you Leaping Lords and Dancing Ladies out there, I need your hints, please. In the meantime, know you're all wished a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year by your Turtle Dove in Mississippi.

2 comments:

Ann Kurzius said...

"Two turtle doves," obviously! Happy holidaze, dear Ms. NR!

Jon said...

NR, perhaps they are the common ground doves? For a handy field guide site try:

http://www.whatbird.com/

There is a search field..type in dove and you will have a menu of all sorts of doves in North America to click on and select yours by pictures of each.

I'm hoping they are genuine turtle doves to make your Christmas extra special!
Jon at Mississippi Garden