Sunday, July 27, 2008

In Love Again



I'm in love. My heart is full for a tiny bug-eyed robot named "Wall E." He and another 'bot named "Eve" kept me enthralled Wednesday night and Friday afternoon at separate moviehouses. Here's why two theaters:

A pair of friends and I were to meet for a matinee showing on Wednesday. They arrived on time; I did not. Instead of arriving 10 minutes early, I was 40 minutes late. Wisely, my friends gave up and went inside without me.

When I joined them almost an hour into the film, they lightly scolded me and quickly caught me up on the trashy plot. I loved every sight, sound and brilliant play on heavy themes that we heavyweight 21st century human types must wise up and do something about. Otherwise, I fear winding up in space watching phony if also funny Fred Willard messages and spending all day at the Buy N Large.

Flash forward to Friday. I made up the lost 40 minutes and saw the lovable 'bot movie stem to stern. Another friend and I did a movie matinee marathon that day. We saw "Wall E" first, then headed straight into "Mamma Mia." I was glad to get the full scoop on my Wall E lover and happy I didn't have Meryl Streep's choice of three in "Mamma Mia."

So Friends, Greeks and Robots, lend me your ears...Wall E outdistances Mamma Mia by an Olympic mile. Both are fun to see, but if you go, check your watch and arrive on time. You'll save not only face with your friends, but also money in your Wall E t.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I loved this post which illustrates your lively and lovely way with words. It is good to know that you are back keeping "Mississippi Time" on your watch which proves you are truly fully retired and out of the rat race of work schedules on the East Coast. In this awful heat you are wise to dawdle and take your sweet time and do things just when you "get around to it".

Jon on 7-27-08