Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Gertrude Stein, Gertrude Stein, Gertrude Stein


The Arch Repeater, was Gertrude.

Spared the worst of it in "The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas," I'm now being inundated with repeated lines of thought and dialogue in "Each One as She May," Stein's account of a fictional "negress" (sic) named "Melanctha." It's based on the ex-patriate writer's sympathetic exposures to black culture in early 1900's America and France. Here's an example, an example, an example:

(Melanctha's reluctant lover Jeff is speaking.)
"Why, Melanctha dear, I certainly don't now see what it is you mean by what you was just saying to me...you certainly never did believe I ever knew I was giving you real suffering."

(Melanctha replies:)
"I certainly never did know just what it was you wanted to be doing with me, but I certainly wanted you should do anything you liked, you wanted, to make me more understanding for you."

Back to Stein.

The word "certainly" appears nearly a dozen times on that page, which page is a single paragraph. "Can't stand it," "couldn't stand it," and "certainly did stand it" appear almost as often. Yes, yes, yes, I tell you; on the same, same, same page.

It's too easy, isn't it--this poking fun, I mean. The fact is the writing is effective; it lasts and lasts. Critics and analysts--including Stein--say it was her way of showing what actually happens when human beings are communicating silently OR aloud. I'm not sure I buy it, but I am sure I won't forget the thoughts and feelings of Jeff and Melanctha.

Even more, I'll keep the opinion of the late, great American poet Richard Wright, who said (in essence) that Gertrude Stein understood more about black culture than any other white person of her time. Wright was an ex-patriate black American living in Paris--a Mississippian from Natchez. I figure he certainly did, certainly should have, certainly was certain that he certainly knew what he was talking about!

No comments: