Thursday, May 8, 2008

Should Hillary Quit?


No. Not by my account. Sure, the road to nomination is steeper for Hillary than it is for Obama, but no strong woman I know has ever shied away from steep hills. It goes with being female, frankly.

As to the business of splitting the Democrats and weakening the party's chances to win the presidency in November, I say balderdash. Once the choice is presented--either the Republican stand-in for George Bush, or a Democrat who'll try to reverse massive debt, two wars and an economy in shambles--I expect the majority of voters will say, "Give me the Democrat."

If that's Obama, so be it. We'll find out soon enough whether he can govern after we've heard (no doubt) his inspiring, history-making Inaugural Speech. If the Democrat elected is Hillary, we'll find out fast whether her long years in government and public service actually translate into effective governance under extremely difficult social, political, economic, military, environmental and global policy circumstances.

Given those choices, I say the more experienced Hillary is the Democrat I want in the White House. To get us out of the mess we're in, the next president--whoever it is--cannot, must not be A Quitter.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have to disagree...Obama has more years in public office (much of this on the local level). Plus, after listening to his memoir, he has a ton of life experience. I think he is the stronger candidate and in order to save her public image Hillary should bow out gracefully and contribute her remaining campaign donations to Obama.